Thirteen reasons why Quotes (Review)

 


Have you read this book?


After coming from school Clay Jensen finds a suspicious shoebox at his doorsteps with his name written over it, inside it contains several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Those 13 taps are the reason for her suicide and clay is one of them.


Note: do not feel offended, it's my personal thoughts and opinion 

_____spoilar alert____

This book created a lot of hype when the series came, also the reason why I picked this one up to read. Sure I was dumb enough to not check out the reviews before buying it, anyway, I did check out some afterward and most of them were pretty positive and saying how they can 100% relate to this book and was so impressed till giving it a 5 star, while I here was wondering why can't I?


I wanted to understand her and her reasons for taking such a big step and assumed the book will reveal something unexpected in the latter chapters or maybe she will muster up her courage and take revenge on all of them. which was what kept me going with it. but let me surprise you, it did no.



For me it's just three words, I hated it.



I've read this book a year ago, and because I've already bought it, I ought to finish it. I agree first few chapters were pretty captivating and urged me to turn pages. The writing style was pretty good, it flowed pretty nicely along the chapters covering each tape with the backstories of characters.

but as we step closer and closer to climax, I realized "yeah, I hate Hannah"


Also, we can't deny the fact of how awful they handled such a controversial topic. 


Let me list what made me hate it.


- how she handled that peeping tom thing (facepalmed)

- also that jacuzzi episode could have been avoided 

- Hiding in the closet when her ex-friend is being raped, and then blaming herself for not being able to stop it, same for that stop sign part

- blaming Clay for not staying back when she yelled on his face to GET OUT, I feel really bad for clay, the poor guy was dragged into this for no reason

- the counselor—the last straw for hope — who didn't follow her, stopped her from committing suicide. 


we are supposed to view Hannah as a victim in this but what about Jessica, her friend who drifted apart from her (which is pretty common in teenage days, friends do part ways, and sometimes it's not easy to handle it) and which is why she was blamed, and how about what she did to Jessica, in that party when her crush's friend raped her in her drunk state, our female protagonist remained to hide in a closet. okay let's not blame her for that, she must have been scared, accepted. she could have called the cops when she ran out or maybe when asked someone for help.

But no, what she did was throwing those tapes right on Jessica's face, for leaving her.


Anyway, With all the other reasons at their place, she decided to get back at her bullies by taking her own life and let them listen to her tapes and pass them on to others.


She was playing the blame game throughout and constantly displaying her self-pity. 


Suppose, if a teenager who is bullied and facing problems, thinking about killing themselves, and read this book just out of curiosity. And just to find out "yeah, I just kill myself, and everything will be fine" they'll be sorry when I'm dead.  


**Quotes**

"I hope you're ready because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. 
More specifically, why my life ends.
And if you're listening to these tapes, 
you're one of the reasons why."

--

"Because when you're posed, you know someone's watching. 
you put on your very best smile. You let your sweetest personality shine."

--

"After all, how often do we get a second chance?"

--

"no one knows for certain how much 
the impact they have on the lives of other people"

--

"Here's a tip. If you touch a girl, even as a 
joke and she pushes you off, leave...her...alone.
Don't touch her. Anywhere!
Just stop. Your touch does nothing but sickening her."

--

"But sometimes there's nothing left to do but move on"

--

"Thank you
These were the final words that Hanna said on her tapes.
Thank you for listening, thank you for being a part
of my suicide, thank you for standing there
and doing nothing while I was dying inside."


Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time, and reading it.

Popular posts from this blog

It's all about her (fictional) Part 1 & 2

Friends